Our school's main objective is to nurture children with strong character.
In our Elementary School, we take a holistic approach incorporating character development into all aspects of school life. At every level of our community, we embrace the Five Strategies of The Virtues Project, which form the foundation of our character education program.
The Virtues Project is a widely recognized program that offers empowering strategies to inspire the cultivation and practice of character virtues in everyday life. This includes instilling qualities such as integrity, kindness, responsibility, diligence, and other essential elements of good character within each child's potential.
What are the virtues?
Virtues serve as the fundamental building blocks upon which our character is constructed. Love, kindness, justice, and service are the cornerstones of these virtues. They imbue our lives with meaning and purpose, shaping the essence of our character and serving as the most authentic manifestation of our inner selves. Across diverse cultures, ethnicities, and belief systems, virtues stand as the core of genuine achievement.
Within each of us resides a repertoire of Strength Virtues upon which we can rely, alongside Growth Virtues that present themselves as character-shaping endeavours. As lifelong learners, we sustain the hope that the awakening of virtue remains attainable at any juncture, through the conscious decision to live by its principles.
The Virtues Project™ is all about bringing virtues to life.
Whilst the language of the Virtues Project underpins all our activities; we also have a structured programme to promote The Virtues Project. The programme includes:
- A Virtue of the Week launched at our Monday Assemblies
- Virtues Ceremonies are held in every class to reflect on and acknowledge core virtues that we witness in one another
- Using the Five Strategies to embed Virtues across all aspects of school life
- Speak the Language of the Virtues
- Recognise Teachable Moments
- Set goals for the coming week
- Honour the Spirit
- Art of Companioning
Throughout the week, we acknowledge, guide and correct using the language of the virtues in our interactions with the students. We can acknowledge with WOW cards, prepare students for a virtue needed in a particular situation, or correct to restore the child to the community.
- Monday - we introduce the virtue of the week in our Morning Meeting and Assembly. Read the card, and talk about what virtue means. Discuss what that would look like. The children could set personal goals for the week, with that virtue in mind or one they want to work on.
- Wednesday - During a Morning Meeting, check in to see how it is going with the Virtue of the Week.
- Friday - Virtues Ceremony - a place to celebrate and acknowledge everyone for their virtues used throughout the week.