Families today are likely to live in nations where people hold various beliefs and values from different religious traditions. Our community reflects a diversity that enriches children to develop their beliefs and values.
Religious and Moral Education (RME) lessons enable children to explore the Catholic faith and major religions of the world, philosophies and traditions. Based on Lasallian Catholic values, the broad aim of the RME course is to engage and stimulate critical thinking about self and others. Starting with their families, children reflect on relationships and grow in gratitude and love towards all who contribute to their well-being. They reflect on a range of ethical and philosophical issues that confront young children in today’s world.
Our lessons are designed to develop skills that critically evaluate arguments and articulate beliefs and values. As natural philosophers, children ask big questions in life, such as ‘Who am I?’ and ‘Why am I here?’ Their wonder and awe about the mysteries of creation and life illuminate their deep spiritual capacities.
Through the Philosophy for Children programme, children learn to ask deep questions, think critically about moral choices, understand different viewpoints and communicate their thoughts confidently and respectfully. Our children will also strengthen interpersonal and intrapersonal skills to understand themselves and form healthy relationships with others. Both aspects support children to grow in strength of character and to make good moral choices.
- learn about their beliefs, practices and traditions and explore how every religion promotes compassion
- understand the responses that religious and non-religious views can offer on the ultimate questions of the nature, purpose and meaning of life
- develop respect for others with different beliefs
- understand accepted customs of conduct and rights living in a society
- develop honesty, compassion, justice and wisdom by reflecting on their moral values
- develop reflective and discernment capacities and critical thinking in making decisions
- make a positive difference to the community and the world by putting their beliefs and talents at the service of others