Music is a universal language. It opens up a world of imagination that engages and inspires children, igniting a natural connection to rhythm and melody, with the power to elicit thoughts, ideas and deep emotions. Music tells stories, paints pictures and engenders cultural unity. It has sustaining ingredients to help build the social, physical, emotional and spiritual aspects of all who participate in listening and making music.
- Develop an appreciation of music and the joy of making music
- Enjoy the experience of performing with an ensemble, both vocally and instrumentally
- Increase the ability to listen and respond to musical elements
- Convey an awareness of the expressive qualities of music
- Explore the variety of musical styles
- Encourage creativity
- Explore music through a historical timeline
- Develop the ability to listen and appraise
- Encourage respect, self-discipline, personal organisation and individual effort when preparing for a performance, be it as a soloist, or with an ensemble and/or as a member of the cast in a production
- Instil a lifetime connection with music, either as passionate listeners and/or as active participants
Ensemble Music Programme
Musical ensembles, either vocal and/or instrumental, are wonderful opportunities for children to experience the joy of making music with others in their school community. Our various ensembles are led by outstanding music tutors and faculty members.
Children develop a sense of belonging and take pride in learning and developing their individual skills to contribute to the excellence of each ensemble.
They also learn commitment and respect as they realise the importance of being punctual at rehearsals and how essential the role of individual practice is to the success of each ensemble meeting.
The String Ensemble meets weekly and is open to all violinists and cellists. We encourage all students with a Grade 2 standard of performance to join us. The ensemble performs regularly at assemblies and annual concerts.
The Junior and Senior Choirs form the SJIIES Elementary Choir. Each choir meets weekly for separate rehearsals, then combines as and when necessary in preparation for various performances. The Choir performs at the Annual Elementary Concert and also at the Crib Service.
Instrumental Teaching Programme (ITP)
(ITP) offers instrumental lessons to our children during the school day. At the present time, we are able to offer lessons in Piano, Violin, Flute, Clarinet, Saxophone, Guitar, Trumpet, Voice, and Drums. We have a team of outstanding music tutors who are passionate and highly qualified in their specialist subjects.
Many opportunities are provided for our children to perform on their instruments, from the familiar environment of the classroom to the Annual Elementary School Concert and sometimes in public venues. Some pupils may decide to take music examinations conducted by the Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music (ABRSM) and Trinity College of Music, London (TCM).